Canada's top ten innovative charities honoured by Tides Canada
Monday, December 14th 2009 9:11:06am
TIDES CANADA'S TOP 10
VANCOUVER, BC, Monday December 14 -- Tides Canada, a national leader in forward-thinking philanthropy, announced the recipients of its prestigious annual Tides Top 10 award today.
The Tides Top 10 recognizes the nation's most ground-breaking projects and organizations that have demonstrated outstanding leadership, vision and real-world impact in addressing today's most pressing environmental and social problems.
This year's Top 10 includes organizations focused on food security, housing, the Arctic, marine conservation, climate change and civic responsibility. Whether local or national in their reach, each provides innovative solutions that can be replicated in Canada and abroad.
This year's recipients are:
• Canadian Youth Climate Coalition, for mobilizing the Canadian Youth Delegation to COP 15 and engaging Canadian youth on climate action (National)
• Living Oceans Society in recognition of its well-publicized scientific underwater expedition, Finding Coral (British Columbia)
• Tusaqtuut Core Indigenous Knowledge Project, led by Meeka Mike, for furthering an understanding of Inuit culture and the impact of climate change in the Arctic (Canadian Arctic)
• The Framework Foundation's Timeraiser project, for successfully targeting Gen Y and Z to donate their time and talent to non-profits (National)
• UBC Farm for its interactive programs for children and adults of all ages, which use on-farm experiences to teach and emphasize the relationships between food, health, and the environment (Vancouver)
• Local Food Plus, a leader in sustainable food certification that is rebuilding local, sustainable supply chains from farmer to consumer (National)
• Faith and the Common Good, an environmental innovator, was chosen for its successful cross-denominational work greening religious buildings across the country (National)
• Pembina Institute for advancing real solutions for sustainable energy through their innovative research, analysis, education, and advocacy (National)
• Capacity Waterloo Region, an initiative to strengthen the capacity of non-profits and social venture initiatives that is being watched and evaluated across Canada (Waterloo Region in Ontario)
• St. Clare's Multifaith Housing for its pragmatic, just-do-it approach in addressing homelessness and the lack of affordable housing in Toronto
"These groups shift the way we see our communities and change our own understanding of the impact each of us can have upon the world. It is our honour to celebrate great organizations and initiatives that propel us forward in our shared goals of building healthy communities and a healthy planet," said Ross McMillan, President and CEO of Tides Canada.
Visit www.tidescanada.org/tidestop10 for full details on the Tides Top 10 and to view videos of their work.
About Tides Canada
Tides Canada provides services to change makers - philanthropists, foundations, activists, social entrepreneurs and civil organizations. Focused on the environment, social issues and innovation in the nonprofit sector, Tides Canada works to increase the impact of Canada's forward-thinking charities and nonprofits. Founded in 2000, Tides Canada has offices in Vancouver and Toronto.
Tel: 604 647-6611 / 250
Warning: file_get_contents(http://huffstrategy.com/MediaManager/API/getPhotos.php?releaseID=1804): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable in /homepages/6/d125890587/htdocs/Client/HuffStrategy/WireManager/read.php on line 130